Saturday, July 28, 2007

DISCOVERIES: Week 6, Things 13 and 14

Things 13: Had to pass on the alternative podcast tutorials for del.icio.us on my home computer which operates on dial-up. After a cursory exploration of us.ef.ul and Habits of Successful del.icio.us Users, etc., I decided to move on to something that would be more useful for my purposes. I wondered if the prevalence of tagging is making searches by Google etc. too cumbersome in the long run by bringing up too many possibilities. It was, however, interesting to view other library home pages. I thought one library's Lost in Blogs idea of "What's for Dinner" with recipes from a book or magazine in the collection was a good idea for summer reading for adults.

Things 14: The idea of trying to organize the 100 million blogs that probably exist in blogsphere by now seems like a daunting task. In the process of examining the process and results, after locating and bookmarking Boing Boing, I inadvertently stumbled across the No. 1 video "everything in the known universe about noelia." Hmm, I wondered, who is that, before finding my answer on Videochismes, along with links to many sites that could have resulted in being tossed out and banned from the library forever had I been sitting at one of the public computers. Foiled once again, this time because of my Adobe Flash which is out of date, I was unable to view Noelia or any other video on YouTube. Incidentally, I wondered whether or not tagging is providing challenges to blocking and filtering materials not meant to be seen by eyes of the very young.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Tagging is really an interestig development in 2.0 stuff. Rather than making information more difficult to find, it gives people a way to "catalog" and group any information in ways that are meaningful to them. We could tag our posts in these blogs with BCPL2.0 for any ideas we write about that we could use at BCPL. That way when you finish the program, you can come back to your blog and choose to sort your posts by your BCPL2.0 tag and get everything you wrote about that we might want to try.

Ellen said...

Do you know how to add tagging to your blog? In Blogger they call them "labels." Go into the layout part of your blog and choose to add a new "page element" called Labels. Once you save that, all the labels you've added will display in the sidebar of your blog. You can then click on any label to sort your posts. If you've added the same label to more than one post, you'll get them in your list. I use a "tag cloud" on my blog but it does the same thing, http://learninglibrary20.wordpress.com/.